Alcoholism segued subtly into our marriage, stealthlike, until it was everything in our lives. Now, years after my husband’s passing from alcoholic hepatitis, a glance in the rear view mirror.
- I don’t anticipate with dread what I’ll find when I come home.
- My basement no longer smells like Scotch. And urine.
- I sleep through the night.
- Broken promises and lies are no longer the norm.
- I’m not constantly making excuses.
- The tension in my neck and shoulders has disappeared.
- I finally, finally realize that there was nothing more I could have done about his drinking.
- Constant worry has been replaced with tranquility.
- I live in the present, no longer haunted by ‘what if’ scenarios.
- Chaos has been replaced with happiness.
- There is nothing I miss about life with an alcoholic.